The Department of Environmental Protection prohibits the open burning of trash and/or yard waste.
- Recreation fires are allowed and shall not exceed three feet in width and two feet in height.
- Bonfires are allowed by permit only through the Miscellaneous fire prevention application process. A fee is required. Contact Planning & Development Services, Ph: 724-776-4806, x 1153 with any questions.
Permit review, issuance and inspections:
All commercial fire systems (sprinkler, fire alarm, hood suppression) within the Township require a permit for the installation of the system and any alterations to existing systems.
All fire systems are also required to be tested by a third party inspection agency of your choosing per the following schedule:
- Annual Testing - Fire Alarm, Sprinkler systems
- Semi-Annual Testing - Hood systems
Most commercial and multi-family residential buildings along with certain businesses require an annual or semi-annual inspection of premises. Click here to find out if an inspection of premises is required for your building or business. The Code Administrator will send notices for any inspection of premises that are required.
Ordering a Knox Box
What is a Knox Box? It’s a secure vault with a key to your building that allows firefighters and police access to your address in emergencies without having to use forced entry or otherwise damaging your structure. Installing a Knox Box is not a requirement in Cranberry, but having one is strongly recommended for commercial and apartment buildings.
Starting January 1, 2019, building owners and developers in Cranberry who choose to have Knox Boxes installed follow the online ordering format identified by the Knox Company as “E-Approval. ”
- Step 1: Click the BUY button (upper right corner)
- Step 2: Select Pennsylvania, as your location.
- Step 3: Choose Cranberry Township as your local Fire Department/Agency.
- Step 4: Select your product, add it to the cart, and confirm the installation address.
- Step 5: Pay for the item by completing the checkout process.
When your order has been completed, Cranberry Township will be contacted by the Knox Company to confirm that your address is within the Township’s jurisdiction.
Upon approval, Cranberry will send you a copy of the Township’s guidelines for installation and use of your Knox Box.
Once your Knox Box has been installed, contact the Fire Prevention Administrator to schedule a time to meet with you, on site and secure your building’s keys. Ph: 724-776-4806, x 1112.
False alarms are frequently received as the result of improperly maintained or defective alarm systems, or the incorrect placement of alarms. When Township police, volunteer firemen, or emergency medical service personnel and equipment are called out unnecessarily, it puts the entire community at risk. False Alarm Ordinance
Fees are calculated on a yearly basis.
- 1st Alarm - No Charge
- 2 - 5, $75 each
- 6 - 10, $150 each
- 11 alarms or more, $175 each